Servers - Fine Dining
Posted: May 9, 2013
AVERAGE %OF TIME
80% Understand menu preparation, pronunciation and food standards to effectively communicate to customers. Expedite and serve food and beverage items at the request of customers and properly place the order within the operation to ensure quality and timing. Clear tables and return all equipment to their respective areas. Ensure that minors and intoxicated persons are not served alcoholic beverages.
5% Ensure service corridors safety by transporting all equipment in the proper manner. Be responsible for handling of all food, equipment and service items to local health requirements. Ensure that all slips, spills and breakage are attended to immediately.
10% Communicate to support staff (greeters, bartenders, bus attendants) to maintain the highest level of service to patrons.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with Caroline's and Hotel Julien Dubuque standards of operation, rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel’s facilities. Associates who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
· Assist in moving any tables and chairs as assigned.
· Inform supervisor of any problems or complaints and assist the guests in accordance to the standards of operation.
· Responsible for the proper handling of all equipment, i.e., china, glass, silver, items and props, ensuring proper storage after use.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
· Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
· Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
· Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Knowledge of table service standards.
· Knowledge of appropriate table settings and service ware.
· Ability to describe all menu items and methods of preparation.
· Requires cash handling and credit system to be followed.
· Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
· Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 4 hours in length.
· Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space.
· Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks.
· Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
· Must be able to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
· Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. frequently.
· Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
· Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other associates.
· Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
· Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Minimum of one to two years server experience in an upscale dining atmosphere is manditory.
Licenses or Certificates
Must be of minimum age to serve alcohol.
All associates must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Hotel Julien Dubuque standards.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an associate in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
How To Apply