Fall 2017 Animal Nutrition VolunteerNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium,
This listing has expired
The Dubuque County Historical Society operates the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, National Rivers Hall of Fame, the Mathias Ham House Historical Site, and the Dubuque Guide Service. The Museum & Aquarium serves over 200,000 people a year, including several thousand more each year at its historic sites and tours, telling the story of the Mississippi River and the History of the Dubuque and Tri-state area.
Greater than 90 full and part time employees and over 500 volunteers.
Position Title: Fall 2017 Animal Nutrition Volunteer
Full-time/Part-time: Part-time; weekends and holidays as agreed to; mornings generally required
Department: Living Collections
Reports To: Lead Aquarist and Aquarists as assigned
Staff Reporting To This Position: Interns and volunteers as assigned
Works Closely With: Living Collections Department
The Living Collections Animal Nutrition Volunteer will allow participants to have a greater knowledge and understanding of the nutritional needs of freshwater fish, saltwater fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, invertebrates, and mammals housed in captive environments at the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium (NMRM&A).
- Prepare animal food that will be used throughout the day by following established food prep charts.
- Pull food for next day’s use.
- Create shopping list for grocery runs.
- Ensure daily and weekly check sheets are current and maintain written records in accordance with established practice and policy.
- Ensure all husbandry areas are kept clean, organized and hazard free; report maintenance needs; perform minor maintenance tasks.
- Provide superb customer service for all visitors.
- Implement emergency procedures as directed.
- Work safely with and around potentially hazardous chemicals and dangerous animals.
- Extended periods of standing and heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Provide alternate coverage for other Aquarists and other duties as assigned.
- Will typically possess a background related to living organisms and animal nutrition.
- Experience with, understanding of, and aptitude for maintaining animals in captivity is helpful.
- Must possess strength and endurance to perform the physical demands of all Key Responsibilities with or without accommodation.
- A High School Diploma is required.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
- Must learn quickly and be self-motivated to elevate personal skill set.
- Must possess good decision-making skills to make sound, independent judgments and must possess good problem-solving skills to identify problems and suggest solutions.
- Completion of a minimum of 8 hours a week (hours to and length of time period are flexible and will depend on the individual). Progress will be documented with weekly informational reviews, as well as a final review of knowledge and skills learned.
- NMRM&A Volunteer Application
- Cover Letter
- 1 letter of recommendation (letter must be sent by the individual directly or it will not be accepted)
This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send application requirements to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by e-mail at email@example.com no later than August 30, 2017.
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563) 557-9545 ext. 276