Fall 2017 Collections Inventory Volunteer/InternNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque, IA
The Dubuque County Historical Society operates the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, National Rivers Hall of Fame, the Mathias Ham House Historical Site, and the Dubuque Guide Service. The Museum & Aquarium serves over 200,000 people a year, including several thousand more each year at its historic sites and tours, telling the story of the Mississippi River and the History of the Dubuque and Tri-state area.
Greater than 90 full and part time employees and over 500 volunteers.
This position is 6–12 hours per week during business hours, Monday through Friday between 9:00 and 4:00. Intern will provide support for the Curatorial Services (historical collections) department at the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium/Dubuque County Historical Society.
The intern will be involved with the inventory of the historical collections, which may include but is not limited to:
Assists the collections management staff with:
- Verifies or catalogs information on each item in the collection into the database.
- Physically locates each item in the collection. Documents or updates locations in the database.
- Correlates all items with the correct paper and database files. If the files do not exist, creates them.
- Ensures all items are properly marked and tagged with accession numbers following professional museum standards and protocols.
- Digitally photographs or scans each item and adds images to the database.
- Assesses condition of each item and updates condition information in the database as necessary.
- Registers and catalogs undocumented “found in collection” items.
- Improves storage conditions where practical.
Applicants should possess:
- Ability to work as part of a team and follow specific directions.
- Excellent computer skills, such as experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
- Education or interest in history, anthropology, research, museums, and willingness to learn about proper museum techniques.
This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send museum application to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
by Friday August 25, 2017.
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563)557-9545 ext. 276
|Apply for this Job!|
|Apply by Email:||email@example.com|