Behavior Intervention SpecialistArea Residential Care, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Area Residential Care is a private, non-profit corporation founded in 1968 and headquartered in Dubuque, IA. Area Residential Care serves people with intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities. Several residential options are offered to meet individual needs as well as vocational programs that create opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in the workforce. Services are primarily provided to residents of Dubuque, Jackson, Delaware, Clayton, and Jones counties in Iowa. Area Residential Care serves 250+ individuals and employs over 200 staff members.
MISSION STATEMENT It is the mission of Area Residential Care to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life.
VALUE STATEMENTS Area Residential Care is committed to values that support its mission statement
Area Residential Care is currently seeking a Behavior Intervention Specialist who participates in the behavior management process for individuals in our ICF/ID programs. This person will help develop behavior strategies to achieve individual goals as a result of team discussions or changes in individuals behavior.
- BA/BS in Applied Behavior Analysis/Psychology, Behavior Intervention, Special Education or a related field.
- 2-3 years experience developing behavior management programs and working in the field of developmental disabilities.
- Working knowledge of current DSM and psychotropic medications.
- Working knowledge of ICF/ID regulations is preferred.
- Must have exceptional organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, and leadership skills.
- Must have basic computer knowledge and fluent in working with Word and Excel.
- High level of reading, writing, and math skills to develop, comprehend, and analyze individual program plans, monthlies, a variety of reports, etc.
- Must develop and maintain cooperative relationships with a variety of agency personnel, outside agency professionals, consumers, and parents/guardians.
- Must be a certified instructor in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention or trained after six months of employment.
- Must be a certified medication aide or trained after six months of employment.
Essential Job Functions
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Must be able to physically prompt, escorts, and restrain individuals served
- Actively participates in the team process for those people who have behavior goals involving physical restraint, mechanical restraint, calm area, medications used for behavioral change and any rights restrictions incorporated into their behavioral plan.
- Attends program planning meetings and is responsible for advising and collaborating with the team regarding strategies to reduce inappropriate behaviors and develop socially appropriate behavior.
- Actively researches and reviews new techniques and developments in behavior intervention and is responsible for bringing information to the team.
- Develops behavior strategies as a result of team discussion, environmental factors, physical/psychological changes, least restrictive approaches related to the person’s behavioral history, and new techniques within the field of behavior intervention. Monitors staff implantation of plans.
- Revises the plans/steps/strategies based on the individual’s wants, needs, progress, or physical/psychological changes.
- Provides training to various levels of staff regarding the implementation of the plans/steps/strategies and works closely with direct contact staff to overcome obstacles to the person’s progress.
- Reviews and follows up on incident reports and other behavioral data documentation.
- Communicates regularly with psychiatrist/psychologist/and other appropriate out of agency professionals regarding treatment progress.
Area Residential Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
This listing has expired
Human and Social Services
Volunteer and Non-profit
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||2-5 Years|