Weekend Instructor ($14.00 per hr)Area Residential Care, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Who We Are
Area Residential Care is a private, non-profit, 501(c) 3 organization, created in 1968 by a group of parents and other interested parties. Its mission is to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life. From its inception, Area Residential Care’s purpose has been to provide community-based services for persons with intellectual disabilities. The organization has grown over the past 40 years to serve an average of 250-275 people with disabilities annually; providing residential, vocational, and day services in Dubuque and Dyersville communities.
Through a variety of community-based residential and vocational programs, Area Residential Care helps people with disabilities become active, participating members of the community. Giving people with disabilities choices about where and how they live, work and socialize with their non-disabled peers is the essence of Area Residential Care’s purpose.
It is the vision of Area Residential Care that every individual has the opportunity to live, work, and participate in a supportive and accessible community.
It is the mission of Area Residential Care to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life.
Area Residential Care is committed to the following values that support our vision and mission statement.
- Every person has rights and the responsibilities associated with them.
- Every person is to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Every person has unique needs and preferences that influence the choices he or she makes about his or her life and services.
- Every person is to be provided the opportunity to live, work and participate in recreational activities in the community as the natural environment.
- Every person is to be provided with encouragement, opportunity and supports to live life to the fullest.
- Every person is to be given the opportunity to provide direct feedback on his or her satisfaction with services, and given a prompt response to concerns.
Are you often described as A mbitious, R esourceful, and C heerful? Do you thrive in a positive environment dedicated to supporting those with intellectual and physical disabilities achieve their goals? If you’re excited reading this, then Area Residential Care is the place for you!
What You Will Do:
- Trains, instructs, and supervises individuals served in the skills and behaviors necessary to live and integrate in natural home and community settings.
- Assists with the daily schedules and program activities of four to six individuals served per location.
- Assists individuals as necessary to complete food purchasing and preparation, do laundry, complete household duties, and complete hygiene activities including showering/bathing, toileting, and oral hygiene.
- Advocates for and teach individuals served on how to exercise their rights and on how to be safe.
- Uses a variety of techniques to modify behavior within the home, including physical restraint if necessary.
- Completes emergency drills and environmental safety inspections in accordance with agency timelines.
- Passes medications to individuals served following all policies and procedures after completing agency sponsored training.
- Has patience to work with individuals who may occasionally exhibit aggressive and/or non-compliant behaviors.
- Maintains positive, appropriate relationships and effective communication with individuals served, agency staff, members of the community, and service providers.
- Ensures data is recorded promptly and accurately in regards to notes, incidents, etc.
What You Need:
- High school diploma/G.E.D. or equivalent
- No direct-care experience required-we will train!
- Ability to comprehend basic medical and life-skill programs
- Ability to lift 20lbs and occasionally lift up to 50lbs
- Must be able to physically prompt, escort, and physically restrain individuals served
- Valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets agency authorized driver criteria required for most positions
- Requires certification for passing medications upon completion of agency sponsored training
- Must develop and maintain positive, appropriate, cooperative relationships with individuals served, agency staff, business professionals, and individuals’ parents/guardians
- Successful clearance of criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen
Weekend Instructors can work any open shifts starting 12pm on Friday through 7am on Monday.
Area Residential Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
This listing has expired
Child Care/Day Care/Personal Care
Human and Social Services
Volunteer and Non-profit
|Years of Experience||--|