Medical AssistantArea Residential Care, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Area Residential Care is a private, non-profit corporation founded in 1968 and headquartered in Dubuque, IA. Area Residential Care serves people with intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities. Several residential options are offered to meet individual needs as well as vocational programs that create opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in the workforce. Services are primarily provided to residents of Dubuque, Jackson, Delaware, Clayton, and Jones counties in Iowa. Area Residential Care serves 250+ individuals and employs over 200 staff members.
MISSION STATEMENT It is the mission of Area Residential Care to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life.
VALUE STATEMENTS Area Residential Care is committed to values that support its mission statement
In this position you will accompany clients to medical appointments within the community, serve as an advocate for those with disabilities, implement therapeutic programming, and assist the nursing staff with general office duties.
- Requires High School diploma/G.E.D. and minimum six consecutive months of work experience with ID/DD population.
- Must be a certified medication aide (CMA) or have ability to successfully complete CMA course.
- Must be able to transport individuals served or agency products to various community locations in agency owned vehicles and/or personal vehicle (requires a valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets agency authorized driver criteria).
- Knowledge of health-related aspects of care and training of persons with disabilities preferred.
- Ability to read, develop, and comprehend individual program plans and complete data documentation and incident reports
- Must develop positive, cooperative relationships with agency staff and personnel of community medical offices.
- Must consistently reflect a positive agency image to the community
- Must be proficient in word and excel.
- Ability to lift 20lbs regularly and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Ability to transfer individuals that are wheelchair bound.
- Must be able to physically prompt, escort, and physically restrain individuals served
- Ability to walk unsupported and stand unsupported to assist individuals with disabilities
- Ability to complete office work such as: type, document, and make phone calls
- Ability to work overtime as requested per bargaining unit contract.
- Transports individuals to medical appointments and supervises individuals at appointments.
- Informs team of medical appointments and distributes communications related to the appointments to members of the program planning teams.
- Assist in the management and implementation of individual and group therapies as ordered by the consulting occupational, physical, and speech therapists contracted by Area Residential Care.
- Develop a schedule of therapy based on priority of need, therapy sessions recommended, and individuals’ availability and compliance. Adjust or modify the schedule based on daily factors.
- Pursue available options, make recommendations, and place orders for adaptive equipment prescribed by the OT/PT/speech therapists and keep Hartigs updated on current equipment for the physician’s orders.
- Keep track of all ICF/ID adaptive equipment; check condition and initiate repairs/maintenance of equipment.
- Develop models and schedules, signs, etc. for individuals served; using board maker to increase means of communication.
- Provide training as needed on new equipment
- Administers prescribed medications to individuals receiving services after completion of agency-sponsored training.
- Provides respite coverage for individuals served residentially as needed.
- Assists with the monthly change over of medication at the main building as assigned.
- Assists in office work in the nursing office, e.g. tracking of supplies, filing.
- Manages the stress of working with individuals who may occasionally exhibit aggressive and/or non-compliant behaviors.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with agency staff and members of the community.
- Must work independently on assigned tasks.
This position primarily works Mon-Fri during 1st shift hours. Hours may vary depending on the needs of the individuals.
This listing has expired
Child Care/Day Care/Personal Care
Human and Social Services
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||--|