Boiler Operator, 3rd ShiftLoras College, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Loras College was founded in 1839 by the Most Rev. Mathias Loras, first Bishop of Dubuque, who established St. Raphael Seminary to educate young men for the priesthood, but with the expressed intention also of providing an opportunity for higher education to the citizens of the area. The college has functioned under several names (St. Raphael Seminary, Mt. St. Bernard, St. Joseph College, Dubuque College and Columbia College), finally adopting its present name during its centennial in 1939.
Loras is a Catholic liberal arts college dedicated to the total development of the student. Small enough to be personal, large enough to offer a wide variety of quality academic programs, Loras College recognizes the human dignity of each individual and challenges men and women to grow with purpose and direction. Relating the rich liberal arts tradition to a changing world, Loras strives to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers and responsible contributors in their diverse professional, social, and religious roles. The College has an enrollment of approximately 1,600 students and employs over 375 faculty and staff members. Although employee turnover is low, interesting and challenging employment opportunities do exist in a variety of technical and professional career fields. More employment information is available at the Loras College employment opportunities webpage: https://loras.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
Full-Time Position. Will work 3rd shift (6 pm to 6 am) from October through April and then 1st shift (7 am to 3:30 pm) from May through September. Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
Operates and maintains the medium pressure boiler plant machinery and related equipment during heating season. Will perform general maintenance work in Physical Plant during non-heating season.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Starts and stops boilers as needed and transfers boilers to fuel oil when required.
- Monitors pressure and temperature gauges as well as water levels in sight glasses to ensure proper operation of boilers and equipment.
- Performs chemical tests on boiler condensation and monitors chemical usage.
- Takes meter readings as required. Regularly checks for water, air, or steam leaks from pipes, pumps and compressors.
- Keeps boiler plant clean.
- Clears assigned areas outside of boiler plant of snow, leaves, and other debris.
- Assists with other maintenance work such as window screens, venetian blinds, and vacuum cleaner repair.
- Performs general maintenance work in Physical Plant during non-heating season.
- Supports the mission and vision of the College and respects the College's Catholic tradition.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Energetic - Ability to work at a sustained pace and produce quality work.
- Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Loyal - The trait of feeling a duty to the employer.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of ones ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED).
Experience: Minimum of two years related experience in the operation and maintenance of boilers or mechanical maintenance activities preferred but not required.
Computer Skills: Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite.
Other Requirements: Valid driver’s license required. Knowledge of institutional boilers and related equipment. Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions necessary in a boiler plant operation. Able to work well independently. Good problem solving skills. Solid hand/eye coordination. Able to operate all related boiler plant instruments and tools. Available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
N (Not Applicable)
Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Worker is subject to varying inside and/or outside temperatures, which may include extreme heat (temperatures above 100 degrees) or extreme cold (temperatures below 32 degrees). Work is performed both inside and outside, subject to weather. The worker is subject to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, etc., which may affect the skin or respiratory system.
Loras College is an equal opportunity employer.
This listing has expired
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||2-5 Years|