Sustainability InternCity of Dubuque, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The City of Dubuque has operated under the Council/Manager form of government since 1920. Under this form, legislative responsibility rests with the City Council and administration authority is given to a professional City Manager.
The City Council is responsible for setting overall policies and goals for the City and is comprised of the Mayor and six members who are selected in a non-partisan election for four year terms. The Mayor is the chief elected official and formal representative of the City. The Mayor and two council members are elected atlarge and four council members are elected from one of four wards into which the City's thirty-one square miles are divided. Over twenty boards and commissions are appointed by the council to advise them on a wide range of city issues. The City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of city government.
Departments include Airport. Community and Economic Development, Fire, Personnel, Building Safety, Health Services, Water Treatment and Water Pollution Control, Administrative Services, Library, Leisure Services, Planning Services, Police, Public Works and Transportation, Housing Services, Human Rights and Operations and Maintenance. The City of Dubuque employs 549 fulltime employees and has a combined operating and capital budget of $180 million.
DEPARTMENT: Sustainability (part of City Manager’s Office) HOURLY RATE: $14.50
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Sustainability Intern plays a crucial role in supporting the Sustainable Community Coordinator and implementing the community’s sustainability plan that balances environmental and ecological integrity with economic prosperity and social/cultural vibrancy; performs related duties as required.
POSITION BACKGROUND: The City of Dubuque has committed to creating an equitable community of choice for all residents and businesses and recognizes its role in advancing racial equity and social justice through its daily operations. Additionally, the City Council has named Sustainability as one of its priorities each year since 2006. Through the Spring 2020, the City will be updating the 50% by 2030 Climate Action Plan and the intern will help to ensure equitable community engagement within the process and a final plan that centers on equity.
The Intern will have the opportunity to use data collection, best practices research, community engagement, creativity and review of historical practices to place under-represented communities and sustainability initiatives at the forefront of the work.
TEAM DESCRIPTION: The Office of Sustainability was established in 2006 as part of the City Manager’s Office at the direction of City Council. The Sustainable Community Coordinator guides the city’s efforts to make our community a better place to live. The Office of Sustainability engages City leadership and collaborates across City departments and with the community to implement climate change mitigation and adaptation initiatives, supports the Resilient Community Advisory Commission and facilitates other community-led sustainability projects. The Sustainability Intern will be part of the City Manager’s Office and will work closely with Sustainable Community Coordinator, in addition to other departments.
Read more about Sustainability and Equity in Dubuque:
- Sustainable Dubuque background found at https://www.cityofdubuque.org/606/Sustainable-Dubuque
- Human Rights Department & our Equity and Intercultural Competency work found at https://www.cityofdubuque.org/215/Human-Rights
- Inclusive Dubuque Equity Profile found at http://inclusivedbq.org/community-equity-profile/
EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY):
ESSENTIAL: The goal of this internship is to support sustainability work for the City while developing skills and experience in a local government setting.
The Intern’s responsibilities will consist of the following activities:
- Assist with logistics and scheduling for events related to the Climate Action Plan update and the Growing Sustainable Communities conference
- Assist with data entry and analysis
- Assist with website and social media upkeep
- Assist in developing community education and engagement campaigns
- Other creative tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skill in computer technology, including Microsoft Office and Google products
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn organizational policies, procedures and structures that influence the decision-making process
- Detail-oriented and able to accurately meet and communicate about deadlines with initiative
- Organized, analytical and highly motivated
- Proactive, able to identify potential issues and brainstorm solutions
- Commitment to provide high-level administrative support in a fast-paced environment
- Diplomatic, comfortable interacting with commissioners, city staff and residents
- Mission-driven with a passion for fostering social, economic or environmental change
- Interest in sustainability or local government
- Ability to work as a part of a team and independently
- A deep interest in developing equitable policies and programs to advance social justice and sustainability goals in Dubuque
- Knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to follow a management style that is input oriented and values equity, problem solving and the development of partnerships
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Candidates will hold an associate’s degree or, at a minimum, be in their third year of college or university; candidate will possess experience working directly with or living among people from diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds and experience in customer service.
OVERTIME STATUS: Non-exempt
APPLICATION: Please submit an employment application at www.cityofdubuque.org/employment for this position by September 23, 2019. Include with your employment application a cover letter, resume and minimum of two references. For assistance or questions with the application process, please contact the City of Dubuque Human Resources Department located at City Hall, 50 West 13th Street, Dubuque, Iowa 52001-4864, call 563-589-4125 or email email@example.com. To view the position description, please access www.cityofdubuque.org/employment or find it posted on the job bulletin board in the Human Resources Department at City Hall. Women, minorities, veterans and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
This listing has expired
|Years of Experience||--|