Community Health EducatorHillcrest Family Services, DUBUQUE, IA
This listing has expired
Founded in 1896, Hillcrest Family Services is a not-for-profit health services and education provider serving over 20,000 individuals each year. With primary programming and administrative offices in Dubuque, Hillcrest also operates programs in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Clinton, Washington, Ottumwa, Monticello, Maquoketa and Thomson, IL. The agency operates with an annual budget in excess of 20 million, has 500 employees, and is accredited by the Joint Commission and Coalition for Residential Education (CORE).
About the Organization
Hillcrest Family Services is a non-profit organization that assists adults and children in need of help. Every day, Hillcrest builds confidence in hundreds of people and families. We’re a place where compassion is commonplace. Where our passion soars and faith restores.
About the Program
The Community Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention (CAPP) Program provides education to youth, pregnant and parenting teens, and parents on a variety of topics. Our health educators go into schools and community settings to provide topical presentations, implement comprehensive medically accurate proven effective curriculums, and provide educational information.
- Healthy Relationships
- Comprehensive sexual education – promoting abstinence and providing education on safe choices
- Self-esteem building
- How to talk to my parents/kids about sex
- Family planning
- Information and resources for pregnant and parenting teens
Hillcrest Tobacco Use Prevention sends educators out to the community to conduct presentations, health fairs, and informational sessions per request, Tobacco Diversion Class, and promotion of Quitline Iowa.
As a Community Health Educator, your primary responsibility includes supporting the goals and objectives of the Tobacco Use Prevention, CAPP, and HIV Prevention Programs within their respective grant service areas. This includes:
- Performing community outreach to educate and create awareness to area youth
- Assisting with Hillcrest Tobacco Use Prevention Facebook page and other marketing/promotional materials
- Recruiting, registering, and meeting with youth ages 12 to 18 (male and female) to participate in youth marketing activities
- Maintaining presentation materials (props, models, charts, software)
- Assisting in planning activities for CAPP, specifically around drugs, high risk behaviors, tobacco, etc.
- Providing HIV testing on site at the clinic and other outreach sites
What you need
- Some college courses completed in a human services or related field and/or one year of experience.
- Eligible agency driver.
- Outstanding time management, organization, and flexibility.
- Knowledge and understanding of disproportionately impacted/high risk populations.
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of people.
What Makes You Stand Out
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a social sciences or related field.
“As a Health Educator, I am able to work with people every day to educate, test and refer around their overall health. I work within the community, schools, agencies and Hillcrest’s Professional Health Clinic to make sure that risk reduction and evidence based strategies are used to support people’s overall health. “
-Current Health Educator
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job posting are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines. A complete list of job duties may be requested at any time during the job application process.
EEO Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled