Loras College was founded in 1839 by the Most Rev. Mathias Loras, first Bishop of Dubuque, who established St. Raphael Seminary to educate young men for the priesthood, but with the expressed intention also of providing an opportunity for higher education to the citizens of the area. The college has functioned under several names (St. Raphael Seminary, Mt. St. Bernard, St. Joseph College, Dubuque College and Columbia College), finally adopting its present name during its centennial in 1939.
Loras is a Catholic liberal arts college dedicated to the total development of the student. Small enough to be personal, large enough to offer a wide variety of quality academic programs, Loras College recognizes the human dignity of each individual and challenges men and women to grow with purpose and direction. Relating the rich liberal arts tradition to a changing world, Loras strives to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers and responsible contributors in their diverse professional, social, and religious roles. The College has an enrollment of approximately 1,600 students and employs over 375 faculty and staff members. Although employee turnover is low, interesting and challenging employment opportunities do exist in a variety of technical and professional career fields. More employment information is available at the Loras College employment opportunities webpage: https://loras.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
Full-Time 10-month position. Tuesday-Saturday, 5:00 pm - 1:00 am. Performs routine security duties in providing a safe environment for the entire Loras Community and its visitors, as well as maintaining the security of all College facilities.
- Supports the mission and vision of the College and respects the College's Catholic tradition.
- Patrols campus, making random checks of Residence halls, parking lots, and all other campus buildings to ensure facilities and grounds are secure, safe, and well monitored.
- Questions individuals who act suspiciously or who have no identifiable purpose on campus and monitors the usage of facilities by authorized persons only.
- Reports all duties, including break periods, for entry into the security log and submits incident reports regarding involvement or knowledge of a major campus incident or a case of student misconduct in an accurate, complete and timely manner.
- Carries communication unit and flashlight while performing duties.
- Watches for vandals, prowlers, fire, water leaks, or other unusual occurrences which may lead to loss or damage to property or equipment.
- Issues traffic/parking citations to violators. Escorts individuals upon request.
- Assists individuals on campus requiring security services in a courteous manner.
- Assists the police or fire departments in any serious on-campus incident in a professional manner.
- Works special events as scheduled or performs "walk through" patrol during regularly scheduled shifts for events not requiring a special duty officer.
- Security functions are conducted in accordance with established College policies, procedures, and related legal requirements.
- Immediately informs their supervisor and/or administration of activities deemed serious or in the event of an emergency.
- Provides break relief for staff at the information desk which requires excellent communication skills both by phone and in person.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Communication, Oral and written - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word and in writing.
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
- Empathetic - Ability to appreciate and be sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Honesty/Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one's conduct.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one's ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED).
Experience: Two to four years related experience.
Certificates & Licenses: Must become certified in CPR and AED. Must possess a valid driver's license. Must be able to pass police records check.
Other Requirements: Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge of security equipment and devices. Understanding of related legal requirements. Understanding of College security needs and systems. Knowledge of the procedures involved in buildings and grounds security work. Knowledge of the Loras student handbook and student right to privacy act (Buckley). Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with students, college personnel and the public. Persistent and able to work in stressful situations. Attentive to detail. Ability to assist others. Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Alternate Web Site:||Click to visit|
Automated External Defibrillator
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Occupational Safety And Health
Valid Driver's License
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||2-5 Years|