Camp LeaderFour Mounds Foundation, DUBUQUE, IA
About Four Mounds
The Four Mounds Foundation was founded as a not-for-profit organization in 1987 as a means for managing and stewarding a generous gift of property willed to the City of Dubuque from the estate of Elizabeth Adams Burden upon her passing in 1982. The Burden family had a vision for the 54 acres of scenic river view property they called their family home --- that it might be preserved for the public good and utilized for educational purposes. The Foundation, established by the community and Burden family members, exists to perpetuate that vision through the preservation of the property's natural resources, the restoration of its historically significant buildings and the operation of a variety of youth programs.
The Mission of Four Mounds Foundation is to Preserve, Educate and Serve. We preserve the natural, architectural and historical resources of the Four Mounds estate. We educate with hands-on opportunities for your and our community. We serve through leadership, stewardship, and innovative partnerships.
For more about Four Mounds, visit www.fourmounds.org .
Adventure Day Camp 2017
Job Title: Camp Leader
Job type: Seasonal (mid June-early August)
Typical hours: 38 hrs/week (4 days/week)
Position Purpose: To further the mission of Adventure Day Camp through leadership to youth.
- Executive Director at Four Mounds, Chris Olson
- Camp Director
- Four Mounds Challenge Ropes Course, Team Building Blocks course Instructor Seth Sample
Essential Job Functions:
- Work cooperatively to lead campers in an enjoyable environment
- Engage in activities from the field, not the sidelines
- Put campers first: being present to the campers, their parents, and your colleagues
- Be a role model to campers and fellow leaders
- Provide care for campers prior to camp and after camp at pick-up/drop-off locations
- Ensure camper safety & enjoyment
- Help with assessment of needs for campers and for camp’s operations (supplies, equipment, etc.)
- Work with fellow Leaders, Junior Leaders and Director to ensure smooth operation of camp
- Be flexible as needs arise to help campers and leaders
- Remain positive and responsive with youth
- Respect appropriate situations: listen and respond as issues arise, voice concerns appropriately
- Be on the lookout for possible improvements to camp operations, bring to Director’s attention
Training & Wages: Paid training week provides CPR/1st Aid certification, camp specific training, and training specific to safety & working with youth. Wages are commensurate with experience.
Equipment Used: Canoes, ropes course, & camp activities (training provided). One leader must drive a Four Mounds pickup truck and move canoes once/week; driver’s license and background checks are required.
Qualifications: Maturity to lead youth. Ability to participate in excursions.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Desirable to have knowledge of youth and youth development, conflict resolution, canoeing, hiking and nature knowledge. Current CPR certification and first aid training is highly desired. Prior experience at our camp and day care experience is desired.
Physical Requirements: The leader positions are participatory in nature and require physical activity during in all types of summer weather (transporting supplies and leading canoeing, caving, challenge ropes course and games.)
Camp Schedule: (Leaders are scheduled to a 4 day work week, with 9-9.5 hour days)
Monday – Orientation & team building at Four Mounds, including low ropes course
Tuesday – Hiking & nature adventures at EB Lyons Interpretive Center and the Mines of Spain natural areas
Wednesday – Canoe trip at Catfish Creek, the Mines of Spain
Thursday – Ecosystem Adventures at Catfish Creek, Swiss Valley Nature Preserve (hiking and studying nature)
Friday – Finish the week including the challenge ropes course (high ropes).
Provide resume & cover letter to: Chris Olson at email@example.com by 4-1-17.
Four Mounds Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender or identity, national origin, creed/religion, or familial/marital status.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Apply by Email:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Volunteer and Non-profit
|Years of Experience||--|