Area Residential Care is a private, non-profit corporation founded in 1968 and headquartered in Dubuque, IA. Area Residential Care serves people with intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities. Several residential options are offered to meet individual needs as well as vocational programs that create opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in the workforce. Services are primarily provided to residents of Dubuque, Jackson, Delaware, Clayton, and Jones counties in Iowa. Area Residential Care serves 250+ individuals and employs over 200 staff members.
MISSION STATEMENT It is the mission of Area Residential Care to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life.
VALUE STATEMENTS Area Residential Care is committed to values that support its mission statement
Mission Statement: IT IS THE MISSION OF AREA RESIDENTIAL CARE TO EMPOWER PEOPLE WITH INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES TO ACHIEVE THEIR HIGHEST QUALITY OF LIFE.
- High school diploma/G.E.D.
- Six months of consistent general work experience
- 12th grade level of reading, math, and writing skills
- Comprehend basic medical and life-skill programs
- Writing ability to clearly document contact notes and incident reports
- Mathematically able to budget and balance a checkbook
- Ability to lift 20lbs and occasional lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to physically prompt, escort, and physically restrain individuals served
- Requires a valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets agency authorized driver criteria
- Requires certification for passing medications upon completion of agency sponsored training
- Must develop and maintain positive, appropriate, cooperative relationships with individuals served, agency staff, business professionals, and individuals’ parents/guardians
- Oversees the daily schedules and program activities of five to seven individuals served in one home, as well as everyday home operation (cooking, cleaning, laundry, budgeting, medical, etc).
- Trains, instructs, and supervises individuals with mental and sometimes physical disabilities in the skills and behaviors necessary to live and recreate in a home and community setting.
- Uses a variety of techniques to modify behavior within the home and community, including physical restraint in emergency situations.
- Provides instruction and direction to staff assigned to the home, holding them accountable for completing their responsibilities including programming, documentation, etc.
- Constantly monitors the safety conditions in each individual’s environment.
- Completes emergency drills and environmental safety inspections according to agency timelines.
- Passes medications to individuals served after completing agency sponsored training.
- Manages the stress associated with training and caring for individuals who may occasionally exhibit aggressive and/or non-compliant behaviors.
- Is flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate individuals’ concerns, needs, schedules, meetings, and doctor appointments.
- Prepares assessments and other paperwork for team planning meetings and participates in those meetings as assigned.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with agency staff, members of the community, service providers, and individuals.
- Delegates responsibilities on a routine bases to other staff working in the home.
- Must be able to transport individuals served or agency products to various locations in agency owned vehicles and/or personal vehicle
Hours/Days of Work and Working Conditions:
Weekend availability required. Hours may be occasionally adjusted to meet coverage needs, training, or meetings.
Area Residential Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Full or Part Time
Child Care/Day Care/Personal Care
Human and Social Services
Volunteer and Non-profit
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||--|