Founded in 1896, Hillcrest Family Services is a not-for-profit health services and education provider serving over 20,000 individuals each year. With primary programming and administrative offices in Dubuque, Hillcrest also operates programs in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Clinton, Washington, Ottumwa, Monticello, Maquoketa and Thomson, IL. The agency operates with an annual budget in excess of 20 million, has 500 employees, and is accredited by the Joint Commission and Coalition for Residential Education (CORE).
Job Purpose: To plan, coordinate, and provide health services to the clients of the Residential Education Program.
- RN (licensed in Iowa) with one year experience working with mentally ill clients. Psychiatric experience is encouraged. Certification in Mental Health is encouraged.
- Mandatory Reporter for Child/Dependent Adult Abuse. Must be trained within four months of hire and every five years thereafter
- MANDT training required upon hire.
- Must successfully complete child/dependent adult abuse and criminal background check, including DHS evaluation (if needed, including documentation of follow-through for any stated employment restrictions); reference check forms (minimum of two); and employment physical, TB test and drug screen prior to contact with clients and as required thereafter.
1. Assist in developing and monitoring policies and procedures for health services to clients.
2. Assist in the development of new or in the modification of existing policies and procedures to meet licensure and accreditation standards.
3. Monitor implementation of policies/procedures and insure that they are implemented and adhered to appropriately.
4. Assist in the development of medication administration guidelines and procedures for youth care staff to implement.
5. Communicate the needs for health services to clients.
6. Develop medical care plans when health issues are targeted and prioritized.
7. Communicate non-routine medical and medication issues to parents.
8. Educate parent/s and obtain parental consent regarding psychotropic medication.
9. Maintain complete and updated clinical record for each client.
10. Document all client and collateral contact in clinical file.
11. Complete medical reports for staffings and 90-day medical progress reports.
12. Complete discharge medical information for all clients.
13. Monitor, evaluate, and assess the needs for health services to clients.
14. Review critical health care issues as identified for clients through intake screening.
15. Monitor implementation of physician or service provider's medical orders.
16. Assist all physicians in monitoring medication and other health issues.
17. Show ability to assess client needs thoroughly and apply specific treatment modalities.
18. Use strong clinical judgement independently when necessary.
19. Serve as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
20. Develop and provide training to staff on identified health issues.
21. Participate in residential education team meetings on a regular basis.
22. Guide medication manager staff in vital sign skill practice opportunities.
23. Provide medication administration (state approved) course as needed and/or as directed by Director of Residential Education.
24. Be a resource for other team members pertaining to medical/psychiatric issues and implementation of treatment interventions.
25. Provide direct nursing service to clients.
26. Complete initial nursing assessment, including mental status exam, nutritional screening, and referral needs within twenty-four hours of admission.
27. Provide emergency first aid and routine assessments for medical needs.
28. Evaluate client vital signs as necessary.
29. Administer medications if necessary.
30. Conduct STD screening, AIM testing, EPI-Pen and Glucogon training to clients and staff.
31. Document on MAR medical issues and directions for program staff to follow up on.
32. Organize paperwork which requires psychiatrist's signature.
33. Provide assessments and directions for client care to program staff.
34. Respond to program staff's request for suicide risk assessment.
35. Assess need for and approve PRN medication requests.
36. Provide twenty-four hour nursing coverage on a rotation basis with other Hillcrest Family Services nurses.
37. Give orders to program staff for seclusion or restraint and assess for continued need, following Hillcrest Family Services policy and procedure.
38. Provide assistance to consulting psychiatrist.
39. Be present and assist psychiatrist during medication review sessions.
40. Monitor implementation of psychiatrist's orders.
41. Contact parents to notify them of medication changes and to obtain parental permission for change.
42. To assist in review of psychiatric dictation.
43. Call in medication order changes to pharmacy.
44. Review medication changes with program staff to insure compliance.
45. Organize paperwork, which requires psychiatrist's signature.
46. Provide quality assurance for health services.
47. Regularly review client medical records.
48. Identify issues of quality related to health services provided to clients.
49. Participate in nursing department meetings.
50. Participate in other committees as assigned by the Director of Residential Education (for example, Infection Control, Behavior Management, etc.).
51. Teaches and evaluates staff in medication management.
52. Identified as the Molitore Program's primary clinician.
53. Meet with clients in individual counseling sessions.
54. Facilitate weekly group therapy sessions.
55. Facilitate all client reviews with IFMC or other managed care providers.
56. Assume other duties as assigned by the Director of Residential Education.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Alternate Web Site:||Click to visit|
Human and Social Services
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||1-2 Years|