Area Coordinator in Residence LifeUniversity of Dubuque, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
About the University of Dubuque
The University of Dubuque is a private, Presbyterian, coeducational, professional university with a foundation in the liberal arts. Our commitment is to nurturing the mind, body, and spirit as well as encouraging students to explore their fullest potential, is part of a rich Christian identity that dates back to the University's founding in 1852. Our welcoming interfaith community of 2000 students attracts young men and women from across the country and around the globe who seek the knowledge and the skills to make a difference in our ever-changing world. Within a values and faith base, we offer you an array of perspectives and broad exposure to our truly global society. The University comprises the undergraduate college, the graduate school, and the theological seminary.
Mission and Vision
The University of Dubuque is a private university offering undergraduate, graduate, and theological seminary degrees, and other educational opportunities with the intention of educating and forming the whole person. The University is comprised of individuals from the region, our nation, and the world.
As a community, the University practices its Christian commitments by educating students, pursuing excellence in scholarship, challenging students to live lives of worth and purpose, and preparing students for service to the church and the world.
Therefore, the University of Dubuque is committed to:
- A hospitable Christian environment which respects other faith traditions;
- Relationships which encourage intellectual, spiritual, and moral development;
- Excellence in academic inquiry and professional preparation;
- A diverse and equitable community where Christian love is practiced;
- Stewardship of all God’s human and natural resources;
- Zeal for life-long learning and service.
The University of Dubuque is looking for ambitious candidates with a dedication to comprehensive student development. We are focused on engaging with students in every aspect of their lives. We believe in supporting our students so they can succeed, while also challenging them when they make mistakes. We want to ensure that our students have a wonderful experience in the residence halls while engaging in challenging them to grow as young adults. If you are interested in helping young men and women make a difference through finding their vocation, The University of Dubuque may be the place for you.
The Area Coordinator will assume responsibility for an area within the Office of Residence Life. This will include live-in, direct supervision of a residential community. The halls range in occupancy from 136 to 200 residents, and are traditional, suite and pod style. Facilities are co-ed by floor/wing. The area coordinator supervises six to eight Resident Assistants. The area coordinator will also assume responsibility for additional areas within the department such as staff selection, staff training, programming and community development, summer camps and conferences. Area coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Assistant Dean/Director of Residence Life.
At The University of Dubuque, we are committed to hiring staff members that are reflective of the student population we serve. We encourage members of underrepresented social groups to consider applying for this position.
Master’s degree required. Previous residence hall staff experience and supervisory experiences are preferred.
Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- A. Selection, training, supervision and evaluation of student staff and employees
- Facilitate and participate in extensive pre-service as well as on-going in-service training sessions (e.g. staff retreats, staff development exercises and activities, leadership workshops).
- Plan and facilitate weekly staff meetings.
- Conduct bi-weekly meetings with individual staff members.
- Perform formal evaluation of each staff member every semester.
- Facilitate interviews for department-wide staff selection processes.
- Direct the overall management and operation of the residence hall and assigned area.
- Perform weekly duty (approximately five times per semester) as scheduled.
- Establish office hours for availability to residents and staff, at least 15 hours per week.
- Submit administrative reports and forms (e.g. weekly occupancy reports, room change forms, single room contracts, surveys).
- Coordinate desk operations.
- Meet every other week with hall custodian.
- Supervise hall opening and closing procedures.
- Student Conduct
- Communicate guidelines of conduct which protect the individual student's rights and define student responsibilities.
- Serve as initial conduct hearing officer.
- Generate related correspondence to residents.
- Advise and support Resident Assistants in matters of student conduct
- Consult with Director of Residence Life regarding referrals or other necessary action.
- Develop and implement programming model.
- Support programming efforts through presenting programs, attending programs and providing resource information for staff programming.
- Resource for Residents
- Provide assistance and information regarding hall issues and concerns, departmental policies, etc. In addition, serve as a resource regarding university departments, services and facilities.
- Coordinate emergency procedures (e.g. medical/personal concerns, fire alarms, threatening weather situations, and urgent maintenance needs).
- Counsel and refer regarding personal and academic concerns.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Period of employment: This is a 12 month appointment. Beginning and ending dates are approximately August 1st through July 31st. Reappointment is conditional upon performance of the individual and the staffing needs of the Department.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
- A furnished, one or two-bedroom apartment is provided for the Area Coordinator, spouse and legal dependents. Each apartment is provided with air conditioners during the summer months. There are no utility charges associated with the apartment except for personal long distance telephone toll charges and any desired, additional cable TV services. All residences are smoke-free in alignment with the smoke-free campus. Also includes a meal stipend.
- Full University benefits and salary will be based on education and experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, UD Employment application form, located on our website, and three references to: HR@dbq.edu or Director of Human Resources, University of Dubuque, 2000 University Avenue, Dubuque, IA 52001. AA/EOE