After School Sports - Basketball Coach (2017 Season)City of Dubuque, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The City of Dubuque has operated under the Council/Manager form of government since 1920. Under this form, legislative responsibility rests with the City Council and administration authority is given to a professional City Manager.
The City Council is responsible for setting overall policies and goals for the City and is comprised of the Mayor and six members who are selected in a non-partisan election for four year terms. The Mayor is the chief elected official and formal representative of the City. The Mayor and two council members are elected atlarge and four council members are elected from one of four wards into which the City's thirty-one square miles are divided. Over twenty boards and commissions are appointed by the council to advise them on a wide range of city issues. The City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of city government.
Departments include Airport. Community and Economic Development, Fire, Personnel, Building Safety, Health Services, Water Treatment and Water Pollution Control, Administrative Services, Library, Leisure Services, Planning Services, Police, Public Works and Transportation, Housing Services, Human Rights and Operations and Maintenance. The City of Dubuque employs 549 fulltime employees and has a combined operating and capital budget of $180 million.
The Leisure Services Department offers an After School Basketball program at public elementary schools on weekdays in the winter months. This program is held for ninety minutes immediately following school dismissal, 2:45 - 3:30 pm, for up to eight dates beginning the end of January through early March. This introductory sport program serve's boys and girls in 4th and 5th grade playing basketball emphasizing fun and skill development. This is not a competitive program but there will have a game against another school to finish this season (site to be determined). All other dates are conducted at the school site the children attend.
Examples of Duties:
- Teach the fundamentals of basketball
- Organize the practices, skill development drills, scrimmages at the school site
- Communicate with the After School Sports supervisors at the Recreation Division office as needed
- Communicate with parents regarding program philosophy, schedule of practices, makeups and final interschool game event
- Responsible for school and department provided equipment needs to conduct practices and games.
- Experience leading elementary school children in activities
- Knowledge of sport basic skills and team concepts
- Ability to communicate with children and adults effectively
- Enthusiastic and reliable
Pay rate is $25.00 - $35.00 for each ninety minute session. Up to eight sessions / dates are scheduled for each school.
Women, minorities, veterans and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER