Loras College was founded in 1839 by the Most Rev. Mathias Loras, first Bishop of Dubuque, who established St. Raphael Seminary to educate young men for the priesthood, but with the expressed intention also of providing an opportunity for higher education to the citizens of the area. The college has functioned under several names (St. Raphael Seminary, Mt. St. Bernard, St. Joseph College, Dubuque College and Columbia College), finally adopting its present name during its centennial in 1939.
Loras is a Catholic liberal arts college dedicated to the total development of the student. Small enough to be personal, large enough to offer a wide variety of quality academic programs, Loras College recognizes the human dignity of each individual and challenges men and women to grow with purpose and direction. Relating the rich liberal arts tradition to a changing world, Loras strives to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers and responsible contributors in their diverse professional, social, and religious roles. The College has an enrollment of approximately 1,800 students and employs over 350 faculty and staff members. Although employee turnover is low, interesting and challenging employment opportunities do exist in a variety of technical and professional career fields. More employment information is available at the Loras College employment opportunities webpage: http://www.loras.edu/~HR/.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Periodically patrols campus, making random checks of outside doors of secured buildings and parking lots.
- Questions individuals who act suspiciously or who have no identifiable purpose on campus.
- Checks the security log for usable information such as license number of suspicious vehicles on campus or descriptions of questionable individuals.
- Enters noteworthy entries into security log and files incident reports regarding involvement or knowledge of a major campus incident or a case of student misconduct.
- Carries communication unit and flashlight while performing duties.
- Watches for vandals, prowlers, fire, water leaks, or other unusual occurrences which may lead to loss or damage to property of equipment.
- Issues traffic/parking citations to violators. Escorts individuals upon request.
- Assists individuals on campus requiring security services.
- Furnishes information to individuals in a courteous manner.
- Transport injured or ill member of the Loras community to medical treatment when other transportation is not available.
- Makes service calls for administrative offices.
- Assists the police or fire department in any serious on-campus incident.
- Monitors the usage facilities by authorized persons only.
- Performs routine “walk” through patrol of any special event, such as softball, wrestling, etc., that does not require a special duty officer.
- Services security vehicle.
- Works special events as scheduled.
- Supports the mission and vision of the College and respects the College's Catholic tradition.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral and written - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word and in writing.
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
- Empathetic - Ability to appreciate and be sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty/Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) required.
Experience: Two to four years related experience.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Certificates & Licenses: Must become certified in CPR and AED. Must possess a valid driver's license. Must be able to pass police records check.
Other Requirements: Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge of security equipment and devices. Understanding of related legal requirements. Understanding of College security needs and systems. Knowledge of the procedures involved in buildings and grounds security work. Knowledge of the Loras student handbook and student right to privacy act (Buckley). Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with students, college personnel and the public. Persistent and able to work in stressful situations. Attentive to detail. Ability to assist others. Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
The College has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the College reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the College may deem appropriate.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Alternate Web Site:||Click to visit|
|Years of Experience||2-5 Years|