Subacute Nurse (RN or BSN) ($500 Sign-on Bonus!)Hillcrest Family Services, Dubuque, IA
Founded in 1896, Hillcrest Family Services is a not-for-profit health services and education provider serving over 20,000 individuals each year. With primary programming and administrative offices in Dubuque, Hillcrest also operates programs in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Clinton, Washington, Ottumwa, Monticello, Maquoketa and Thomson, IL. The agency operates with an annual budget in excess of 20 million, has 500 employees, and is accredited by the Joint Commission and Coalition for Residential Education (CORE).
Job Purpose: To provide health care services in a residential facility for adults with mental illness.
- Graduate from an accredited RN or BSN program and licensed in the state of Iowa required.
- RN's will have at least 2 years experience and BSN's will have at least one year of experience, working with adults with mental illness.
- Valid driver's license and able to obtain auto insurance to drive agency vehicles preferred.
- Child/Dependent Adult Abuse training must be completed within 6 months of hire (for all staff) and every 5 years thereafter (for client care staff).
- Current BCLS (CPR/1st Aid) certification within four months of hire.
- Prior to direct contact with clients, the following classes need to be completed: Mandt, Trauma Informed Care, Human Trafficking, and Mental Health First Aid.
- Must successfully complete child/dependent adult abuse and criminal background check, including DHS evaluation (if needed, including documentation of follow-through for any stated employment restrictions); reference check forms (minimum of two); and employment physical, TB test and drug screen prior to contact with clients and as required thereafter.
- Full time staff are required to be trained on the following items with 30 days of hire (90 days for part time). Member rights; rights, restrictions and limitations; member confidentiality; provision of member medication (policy training within 30 days; and "hands on" training per policy); individual support needs; behavior intervention plans, and incident reporting. Staff serving clients with brain injury must also receive training on that topic prior to service provision to members
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
- Serves as a primary worker for clients as assigned.
- Adheres to all licensing, regulatory and agency guidelines.
- Documents significant information in each file in a clear and timely matter.
- Teaches necessary problem solving and independent living skills.
- Participates in on call rotation, if applicable.
- 6 Arranges for coverage on the floor when staff calls off. (ill, emergencies, etc.)
- Provides transportation for clients as needed by adhering to all traffic laws and ensure that clients comply as well.
- Immediately corrects safety hazards or to report those to supervisor or maintenance as appropriate.
- Assists in the daily upkeep of the facility including housekeeping and supplies.
- Encourages and assists clients in keeping their bedrooms clean so they meet their goals and follow safety regulations.
- Knows agency's policy and procedures in case of emergencies.
- Works with staff and clients in following all emergency procedures.
- Assists in getting clients to safe zones in the case of emergencies.
- Shares in weekend and holiday coverage as scheduled.
- Listens to report before or soon after the start of your shift.
- Employees must attend monthly staff meetings/trainings.
- Assists with choke patrol as needed.
- Administers medications in a timely fashion, observing the 5 rights of med administration.
- Documents med administration on the MAR and in other appropriate areas within the client record.
- Assess need for and approve PRN medication requests as required.
- Observes and documents client response to, and compliance with prescribed medications.
- Follows all Joint Commission, state, and HFS standards.
- Obtains and evaluates client vital signs as necessary.
- Calls or faxes medication orders to the pharmacies.
- Transcribes doctor orders correctly.
- Communicates client care needs through shift report.
- Supervises, assigns, and directs floor staff as necessary.
- Schedules/coordinates out of facility appointments for clients as needed.
- Completes incident reports within 24 hours of occurrence.
- Communicates with other providers in a professional manner.
- Obtains lab specimens as ordered.
- Completes ordered treatments for clients accurately.
- Completes client admissions and discharges within 24 hours.
- Assists in orientation of new staff.
- Follows all steps in the protocol book when situations arise for same.
- Provide assistance to the RCF/PMI and crisis stabilization program when needed.
- Prepare and send paperwork for client doctor appointments, LOAs, transfers, etc. as needed.
- Initial orientation completed and sent to Human Resources.
- Knowledge of Client Rights, Rights Restrictions, and Limitations.
- Knowledge of Procedure for Passing Medications.
- Knowledge of Medication Policy.
- Knowledge of Individual Member Support Needs, to include clients service plans, goals, supports and needs.
- Gives orders to staff for seclusion or restraints and assess for continued need, following HFS policy and procedure. Assist as needed.
- Provides assistance to consulting psychiatrist or ARNP.
- Completes blood draws.
- Completes TB read.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Alternate Web Site:||Click to visit|
Full and Part Time
Human and Social Services
|Years of Experience||--|