Area Residential Care is a private, non-profit corporation founded in 1968 and headquartered in Dubuque, IA. Area Residential Care serves people with intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities. Several residential options are offered to meet individual needs as well as vocational programs that create opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in the workforce. Services are primarily provided to residents of Dubuque, Jackson, Delaware, Clayton, and Jones counties in Iowa. Area Residential Care serves 250+ individuals and employs over 200 staff members.
MISSION STATEMENT It is the mission of Area Residential Care to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life.
VALUE STATEMENTS Area Residential Care is committed to values that support its mission statement
High school diploma/G.E.D. Minimum 1 year experience at Area Residential Care preferred, or minimum 1 year relevant experience. Requires a valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets agency authorized driver criteria, with the ability to obtain a valid chauffeur’s license with passenger endorsement. Must be able to communicate and direct staff in a positive manner which fosters teamwork.
Essential Job Functions:
- 12th Grade level of reading, math, writing skills. Must be able to comprehend individual program plans, monthlies, quality reports, etc.
- Ability to comprehend basic medical and life-skill programs
- Ability to observe others working
- Basic computer ability to type and review notes
- Mathematically able to budget and balance a checkbook
- Ability to drive an agency owned vehicle
- Light to moderate physical work that requires occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds and regular lifting of 20 pounds also requires transferring of individuals; frequent walking and standing; and occasional stooping, bending, pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to physically prompt, escort, and physically restrain individuals served.
- Able to pass medications after agency sponsored training
Primary Job Duties:
- Mentors new staff persons through the first weeks of hire and probationary period. Acts as a resource and guide. Provides daily oversight, feedback, and training on basic job tasks, e.g. individual plans, data collection, documentation, and agency philosophy.
- Mentors all employees to ensure efficient and safe operations of the programs, including daily facility care; coordination of activities, activity supplies and transportation; oversight of supply and file cabinets, etc.
- Observes direct staff performing daily tasks in the main building, in the community, and in individual homes to determine quality provision of services.
- Attends community outings with the individuals and staff in the day hab and life choices programs
- Develops, coordinates, and implements program quality assurance audits. Develops data gathering forms, coordinates collection of data, prepares quarterly quality assurance summaries, and makes recommendations for program changes based on information compiled.
- Based on audit activities, determines training needs of individual staff persons. Ensures provision of training and oversight on an individual or group basis as necessary.
- Performs direct contact duties for a portion of each work week. Maintains certifications to perform direct contact duties
- Provides services for consumers who may exhibit non-compliant and/or aggressive behaviors; this may include employing a variety of techniques including physical restraint.
- Constantly monitors that individuals practice personal rights.
Leadership and Team Building:
- Provides front-line resolution of personnel issues in coordination with the supervisor, exercising sound judgment.
- Oversees follow through of programmatic staff person assignments to ensure quality services. These positions focus on skill building, community integration, and aging services activities, primarily with people with intellectual disabilities.
- Manages stress in crisis situations while using effective problem solving techniques.
Health and Safety:
- Constantly monitors health and safety conditions in each individual’s environment and trains him/her in healthy/safe practices.
- Uses a variety of techniques to modify behavior within the home, including physical restraint if necessary.
- Completes emergency drills and environmental safety inspections according to agency timelines.
- Passes medications to individuals served, and assists and trains individuals served in administering their own medications, after completing agency sponsored training.
Verbal and Written Communication:
- Ensures that individual service provision is implemented and documented accurately and according to established timelines (logs, contact notes, program data, incident reports, etc)
- Utilize Quantum to manage individual programming.
- Prepares assessments and other paperwork for team planning meetings and participates in those meetings as assigned.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with agency staff, members of the community, service providers, and individuals receiving services.
- Reports directly the Day Hab/Life Choices Supervisor
- Positions that report to the Quality Mentor: none
- Interacts with employees at other service sites in the community, e.g. nursing, medical, transportation, and payee.
Hours/Days of Work and Working Conditions:
Hours are typically Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 3:00pm, with flexibility in daily schedule in order to meet individual consumer needs.
Equipment Used to Perform the Job:
All major household appliances such as stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washer/dryer, other small household appliances; miscellaneous cleaning equipment and supplies such as mops, brooms, and cleaning agents; miscellaneous office equipment such as pager, telephone, answering machine, and calculator; adaptive equipment for individuals served (wheelchairs, Hoyer Lift, communication devices, prosthetic equipment, etc.); agency and personal vehicles.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Apply by Email:||email@example.com|
Human and Social Services
|Years of Experience||1-2 Years|