Call-In Campus Center Receptionist/Security OfficerLoras College, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Loras College was founded in 1839 by the Most Rev. Mathias Loras, first Bishop of Dubuque, who established St. Raphael Seminary to educate young men for the priesthood, but with the expressed intention also of providing an opportunity for higher education to the citizens of the area. The college has functioned under several names (St. Raphael Seminary, Mt. St. Bernard, St. Joseph College, Dubuque College and Columbia College), finally adopting its present name during its centennial in 1939.
Loras is a Catholic liberal arts college dedicated to the total development of the student. Small enough to be personal, large enough to offer a wide variety of quality academic programs, Loras College recognizes the human dignity of each individual and challenges men and women to grow with purpose and direction. Relating the rich liberal arts tradition to a changing world, Loras strives to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers and responsible contributors in their diverse professional, social, and religious roles. The College has an enrollment of approximately 1,800 students and employs over 350 faculty and staff members. Although employee turnover is low, interesting and challenging employment opportunities do exist in a variety of technical and professional career fields. More employment information is available at the Loras College employment opportunities webpage: http://www.loras.edu/~HR/.
Call-in/fill-in position when necessary. No regular shift. Will be called in if needed. Hours may include nights, weekends and holidays. Position will either work as a Campus Center Receptionist or as a Security Officer.
As Campus Center Receptionist--will provide general receptionist, clerical and telephone answering services at the main switchboard/information center in the Alumni Campus Center.
As Security Officer--will perform routine security duties in providing a safe environment for the entire Loras Community and its visitors, as well as maintaining the security of all College facilities.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CAMPUS CENTER RECEPTIONIST
- Provide directions or information as requested by persons visiting the information desk or dialing the main college telephone number.
- Takes appropriate action when notified of weather-related alerts while monitoring the storm radio.
- Distributes incoming calls to appropriate college offices and student rooms.
- Monitors College 911 telephone systems.
- Contacts on-call Physical Plant staff concerning maintenance-related problems, including alarms monitored from the fire alarm board.
- Contact telephone repair service when necessary.
- Accepts, signs and notifies faculty, staff and students of deliveries. Contacts Health Center or other emergency personnel when personal injuries are reported.
- Takes messages for individuals attending meetings being held in the ACC.
- Monitors computerized access control system for other campus buildings and alerts security officers when violations occur.
- Enters, maintains, and updates data for the access control system, as well as the Security reporting system.
- Serves as communication link for Security, Health Center, Student Life, and Physical Plant via a two-way radio system.
- Performs administrative and clerical tasks for Campus Security.
- Periodically patrols campus, making random checks of outside doors of secured buildings and parking lots.
- Questions individuals who act suspiciously or who have no identifiable purpose on campus.
- Checks the security log for usable information such as license number of suspicious vehicles on campus or descriptions of questionable individuals.
- Enters noteworthy entries into security log and files incident reports regarding involvement or knowledge of a major campus incident or a case of student misconduct.
- Watches for vandals, prowlers, fire, water leaks, or other unusual occurrences which may lead to loss or damage to property of equipment.
- Issues traffic/parking citations to Violators. Escorts individuals upon request.
- Assists individuals on campus requiring security services.
- Transport injured or ill members of the Loras Community to medical treatment when other transportation is not available.
- Assists the police or fire department in any serious on-campus incidents.
- Performs routine "walk" through patrol of any special event, such as softball, wrestling, etc., that does not require a special duty officer.
- Works special events as scheduled.
- Supports the mission and vision of the College and respects the College's Catholic tradition.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) required.
Experience: Minimum of two years related clerical experience involving public contact preferred. Knowledge of security equipment and devices helpful.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Certificates & Licenses: Must become certified in CPR and AED. Must possess a valid driver's license. Must be able to pass police records check.
Other Requirements: Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite. Strong keyboarding abilities. Knowledge of security equipment and devices. Understanding of related legal requirements. Understanding of College security needs and systems. Knowledge of the procedures involved in buildings and grounds security work. Knowledge of the Loras student handbook and student right to privacy act (Buckley). Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with students, college personnel and the public. Persistent and able to work in stressful situations. Attentive to detail. Ability to assist others. Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
This listing has expired
|Years of Experience||1-2 Years|