Adult Education and Literacy Coach/Instructor (Spanish/HSED)Northeast Iowa Community College, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Northeast Iowa Community College (NICC) serves the transfer, career and technical education needs of our region’s residents, businesses and industries in a district area that encompasses eight counties and approximately 5,000 sq. miles. More than 28,400 students enroll in Business and Community Solutions courses and academic certificate, diploma and degree programs every year. NICC offers associate’s degrees and general education courses that readily transfer to four-year colleges and universities, and state-of-the-art technology and lab areas that prepare students for high demand careers.
The College has two primary campuses in Peosta and Calmar, and seven service locations in Cresco, Dubuque, Manchester, New Hampton, Oelwein and Waukon, that offer convenient amenities, services, educational resources and computer labs for students.
As one of northeast Iowa’s largest employers, the College employs 680 faculty and staff members, and the average tenure of all part-time and full-time faculty is 12 years.
- Bachelor’s degree and previous K-12 or post-secondary teaching experience required. Master’s preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required.
- Evidence of the ability to teach, motivate and engage adult students at the college level.
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive mentoring/coaching relationships with a diverse student population, including non-native English speakers.
- Experience teaching Adult Basic Education, high school equivalency (HSED) and/or ESOL classes, and developing and adapting curriculum to meet student needs.
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate records and progress reports and meet deadlines and program outcomes for grant compliance.
- Possess strong written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite is required, as is the willingness and ability to learn new software and technology tools. Experience with computer-aided direct instruction in a classroom setting is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and within a team in a fast-paced work environment.
- Personal qualities of honesty, flexibility, approachability, enthusiasm, and sense of humor.
- Commitment and willingness to participate fully in quality improvement at the personal, departmental, and institutional level.
- Flexibility to work days, nights and weekends, if necessary.
- Experience with CASAS and/or other Adult Education assessments is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and serve students as a success coach and instructor, as a member of the NICC Success Model team.
- Provide classroom HSED and ABE instruction for adult learners in face- to-face and video conferencing delivery methods.
- Provide group/classroom style programming and/or workshops to improve student retention and success such as: study strategies, learning styles, career (soft skills), job seeking, resume building, financial literacy, computer literacy, etc.
- Engage students in the classroom using active teaching techniques, technology and andragogical best-practices.
- Establish and maintain mentoring relationships with learners to help overcome barriers to their success.
- Collaborate with NICC success coaches and community social service providers to address student needs.
- Follow all intake procedures and establish an academic success/completion plan for assigned student caseload.
- Maintain documentation on student progress, attendance, outcomes and other required data for state, federal and grant reporting.
- Facilitate a seamless transition for students moving into other NICC college programs and/or the workforce upon completion of their adult literacy goals.
- Communicate regularly with students in assigned caseload to provide information, resources and support as they progress through their classes.
- Work closely with faculty and other success coaches to identify students at high-risk for failure and intervene quickly.
- Communicate effectively with supervisor about successes, issues, and barriers as they relate to the position and students.
- Attend training or professional development as directed to enhance skills and knowledge necessary to meet the needs of 21st century student learners. Overnight travel may be required.
- Know, understand and practice cultural sensitivity to under-represented and under-resourced populations in the community and at NICC.
- Perform other duties as assigned.