Area Residential Care is a private, non-profit corporation founded in 1968 and headquartered in Dubuque, IA. Area Residential Care serves people with intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities. Several residential options are offered to meet individual needs as well as vocational programs that create opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in the workforce. Services are primarily provided to residents of Dubuque, Jackson, Delaware, Clayton, and Jones counties in Iowa. Area Residential Care serves 250+ individuals and employs over 200 staff members.
MISSION STATEMENT It is the mission of Area Residential Care to empower people with intellectual disabilities to achieve their highest quality of life.
VALUE STATEMENTS Area Residential Care is committed to values that support its mission statement
- Oversees the daily schedules and program activities of five to seven individuals served in one home, as well as everyday home operation (cooking, cleaning, laundry, budgeting, medical, etc).
- Trains, instructs, and supervises individuals with intellectual and sometimes physical disabilities in the skills and behaviors necessary to live in a home and community setting.
- Uses a variety of techniques to modify behavior within the home and community, including physical restraint in emergency situations.
- Provides instruction and direction to staff assigned to the home, holding them accountable for completing their responsibilities including programming, documentation, etc.
- Constantly monitors the safety conditions in each individual’s environment.
- Completes emergency drills and environmental safety inspections according to agency timelines.
- Passes medications to individuals served after completing agency sponsored training.
- Manages the stress associated with training and caring for individuals who may occasionally exhibit aggressive and/or non-compliant behaviors.
- Is flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate individuals’ concerns, needs, schedules, meetings, and doctor appointments.
- Prepares assessments and other paperwork for team planning meetings and participates in those meetings as assigned.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with agency staff, members of the community, service providers, and individuals.
- Delegates responsibilities on a routine bases to other staff working in the home.
- Must be able to transport individuals served or agency products to various locations in agency owned vehicles and/or personal vehicle
- High School Diploma/GED
- Minimum 1 year relevant work experience
- Requires a valid drivers license and driving record that meets agency authorized driver criteria
- Ability to lift 20lb regularly, and 50lbs on occasion
- Must be able to physically prompt, escorts, and restrain individuals served
- Certification for passing medication upon completion of agency sponsored training.
Hours/Days of Work and Working Conditions:
Second shift 3-11pm. Positions also include weekend days on a two week rotation. Hours may be occasionally adjusted to accommodate individual’s concerns, needs, schedules, meetings, and doctor appointments. Work is in a home and community setting.
Area Residential Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Child Care/Day Care/Personal Care
Paid Sick Leave
|Years of Experience||1-2 Years|