Opening Doors is the nonprofit organization that operates Maria House and Teresa Shelter. Homeless women, alone or with children, come to us to help rebuild their lives. We provide goal setting and life skills training that will enable them to take care of themselves and achieve their full potential. Women are dependent when they come in…independent when they leave.
Job Title: MARIA HOUSE CASE MANAGER – FULL TIME HOURLY NON-EXEMPT
Reports To: OPENING DOORS PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Date Revised: FEBRUARY 17, 2016
The Case Manager acts as a primary support and advocate to the residents of Maria House and former residents, as needed. The Case Manager acts as intermediary between residents and the Program Director. The Case Manager assists the Director with Maria House operations and is in charge of the Maria House when the Director is absent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
PROGRAM DUTIES AND AGENCY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fills out an intake for new residents and files this intake in the appropriate place, utilizing ServicePoint and completing all paperwork in a timely manner;
- Monitors resident chores and creates bi-weekly chore lists;
- Documents pertinent information regarding behaviors of the residents and their children in the daily log book, as well as their files;
- Mediates any disputes or lively discussions, follows through with write up reports if necessary and recognizes any major issues and report to the Director;
- Responds to phone calls, giving information, and screening callers for admission to Maria House;
- Facilitates weekly house meetings;
- Attends bi-weekly meetings with Teresa Shelter Case Manager;
- Attends ongoing staff trainings as deemed pertinent;
- Shares duties of Program Advocates and provides coverage for part time staff at Maria House and Teresa Shelter, as needed, which could include weeknight, weekends, and overnights;
- Maintains spreadsheets for statistical purposes for Maria House;
- Tours community agencies; represents Opening Doors and serves as a contact for the Maria House and residents utilizing services;
- Responsible for maintaining the wish list (print/online) on the Opening Doors Website;
- Responsible for daily posts on social media in collaboration with Development Director and Program Directors;
- Responsible for Cottage Industry Program in collaboration with the Development Director;
- Assists in grant writing and fundraising activities to support Opening Doors;
- Takes and distributes minutes for Staff Meetings and Opening Doors Operations Committee;
- Responsible for annual Community Block Party and attending other community booths;
- Logs volunteers hours for Getting Ahead Program and sends to Program Director;
- Performs resident room checks twice a week;
- Creates Board books for new Board Members;
- Creates a list of needed supplies to the Program Director on a weekly basis;
- Graciously accepts and logs donations from the community;
- Provides education to the community on issues of homelessness (speaking engagements/tours);
- Is readily available to women as a prime resource person and advocate for their needs and provide crisis intervention to the residents while keeping up to date confidential records;
- Meets at least twice weekly with each resident, creates and monitors individual goal plans for each resident, assists residents in writing thank you to donors;
- Attends and participates in DHS family team meetings, court hearings, and foster care review meetings;
- Assists residents in filling out required assistance forms, links residents to appropriate community support services, and assists with obtaining independent housing;
- Facilitates “Getting Ahead” Program with Teresa Shelter Case Manager and manages all aspects of the program;
- Follows through with SOAR training and provides assistance to residents that are applying for SSI and SSDI;
- Approves and/or denies residents passes;
- Collects verification regarding mental health, employment, school, income, etc.
- Assists residents in parenting with 1-2-3 Magic and Promoting First Relationships;
- Develops new materials and forms that are pertinent to residents’ needs;
- Provides follow up care for residents transitioning out of the program;
- Monitors Opening Doors Dollar’s Incentive Program;
- Is on call bi-monthly when problems arise at Maria House.
- Administrative Staffing- Monthly
- Case Manager Staffing - Bi-Weekly
- Community Partnerships for Protecting Children- Monthly
- Downtown Neighborhood Association- Monthly
- Dubuque/Delaware County Coalition Against Domestic Violence- Quarterly
- Family Self Sufficiency- Quarterly
- Jail Diversion- Monthly
- Opening Doors Operations Committee- Bi-Monthly
- Volunteer Committee- Quarterly
Education, experience and skills:
- AA in Human Service field and at least 2 years experience.
- Accepts the mission and values of Opening Doors.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and commitment to all guests/residents;
- Good English language communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Must be flexible and resourceful and have good organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to remain calm in emergency situations.
- Must be able to maintain professional boundaries with residents.
- Must have valid Driver’s License, Mandatory Child Abuse reporter training, and Medic First Aid training.
Physical, mental and environment requirements:
- Requires above average judgment to deal appropriately with confidential information;
- Ability to apply advanced thinking as required;
- Ability to interpret, deliver, and carry out instructions;
- Position requires: standing, sitting, occasional reaching, squatting, kneeling, gripping, climbing, carrying, bending, pushing, and pulling.
- Requires occasional lifting a maximum of 50 pounds;
- Occasional exposure to chemicals, fumes, office equipment noise, and slippery surfaces;
- Work is performed indoors and is free from adverse weather conditions.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Apply by Email:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Req Num||AA in Human Service field|
Human and Social Services
Volunteer and Non-profit
|Years of Experience||--|