Executive DirectorHabitat For Humanity Dubuque & Jackson Co., Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Habitat for Humanity is a global nonprofit housing organization working in nearly 1,400 communities across the United States and in approximately 70 countries around the world. Habitat’s vision is of a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat works toward our vision by building strength, stability and self-reliance in partnership with people and families in need of a decent and affordable home.
Executive Director -
Dubuque/Jackson Counties Habitat for Humanity
Summary: The Executive Director provides overall managerial and fundraising leadership to the affiliate in accordance with the directives, policies and objectives set by the affiliate board of directors. The Executive Director accepts the covenant of Habitat for Humanity and is a leading advocate of the affiliate in
regard to fulfilling the mission and vision statements. The Executive Director is a nonvoting, ex-officio member of the board of directors.
Reports to- Executive Committee of the Board of Directors specifically and to the Board of Directors overall. The executive Committee will solicit input from the entire Board of Directors in performing an annual review of the Executive Director.
Qualifications- 5 or more years senior non-profit management, or other relevant
management experience. BA or BS degree preferred, commensurate professional experience will be considered. Strong background in fundraising.
Requirements/Skills- Must be able to articulate the organizations mission, values and goals. Must be organized, able to meet deadlines and able to manage projects. Excellent oral and written communication skills are critical. Must possess the ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and willingness to travel are required. Maintain a working knowledge of significant development and trends in the field, including training provided by HFHI.
Hours and Compensation- Exempt, full time salaried position. Requires flexibility in work hours, including some weekends and evenings. Salary commensurate with experience and education.
• Act as Chief Administrator responsible for managing all aspects of affiliate
• Manage the affiliate office by directing, training, supervising and
recognizing the paid and volunteer staff in the performance of assigned
• Establish office procedures, guidelines and performance standards.
• Provide for regular office hours.
• Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps and motivates staff and
• Ensure communication of relevant issues flows among all groups.
• Ensure the affiliate adheres to government regulations and HFHI policies.
• Responsible for the development and maintenance of sound financial
• Interact with treasurer to ensure completion of audits and other financial
• Maintain confidential employee and partner family applicant records for
the affiliate and its subsidiaries.
• Work with the staff, Executive Committee, and board in preparing a yearly
budget. Ensure that the affiliate operates within budget guidelines.
• Responsible for overseeing homeowner mortgage payment issues
(delinquent payments, foreclosures, etc).
• Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to
carry out its mission. This includes developing and overseeing a fund raising
plan. Work Closely with Fundraising/Special Events/PR coordinator.
• Monitor the administrative cost to total cost ratio and act to ensure the
ratio is kept at a level consistent with local and HFHI guideline.
• Maintain records of donor information, including follow up communication
and thank you letters.
Committee Support and Guideance
• Assist the committee chairs and provide communication flow among
committees, staff, volunteers and the board as appropriate.
• Monitor the progress of all committees and support their efficient
operation. As appropriate, attend committee meetings.
• Work with Board President to prepare agenda for board meetings and
administer orientation and training program for the board.
• Assist the board of directors in making fundamental decisions, preparing
strategic plans and creating/maintaining policies by interpreting trends in
• Work with the board to establish which decisions the board wants to be
consulted for and which decisions should be left to staff and committees.
• Regular attendance of board meetings.
Community Relations and Resource Development
• Serve as brand manager for the affiliate.
• Actively participate with appropriate community groups which share the
goals of HFH.
• Establish and nurture good media, local city government and community
• Oversee production of publications, promotional materials and press
• Ensure that the activities of the affiliate, it’s programs and goals are
• Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with
volunteers, home sponsors, partner families, community groups and other
• Seek, apply and oversee grants.
• Develop and oversee web based presence using appropriate social media
Habitat for Humanity Dubuque/Jackson Counties is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.