Tasting Room/Retail ManagerGalena Cellars Winery, Galena, IL
This listing has expired
Galena Cellars has been in business over 20 years in Galena thanks to all of our great customers! Over 12,000 of you have enrolled in our Friends of the Winery Case Club since we opened our doors in 1984, and thousands more have visited us in Galena to taste wine and shop for gifts.
Many of our customers ask about the winery's history so we have decided to share our story with you. It all started in the early 1970's when Robert and Joyce Lawlor decided to take winemaking classes in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where they lived. They had noticed the growing popularity of wine in the U.S. and had a vision to someday start their own family-run winery in the Midwest. Daughter Christine accepted the challenge to become a winemaker and after receiving her teaching degree from St. Catherine's College in St. Paul, MN, she went off to California where she earned a degree in enology and viticulture from Fresno State University.
Upon graduation, Christine and her parents opened Christina Wine Cellars in McGregor, IA, in 1976, in an historic, restored post office building that Robert had purchased in the 1960's. The first wine production was 500 gallons of cherry wine. Two years later Robert acquired the old Milwaukee freight depot in LaCrosse, WI, and opened a second winery there. In 1983 they saw another opportunity to open another winery in Galena, IL, and called on Scott and his wife Karan, who had been living and working in Colorado and California, to come help with the project.
Scott, Christine, and their parents, restored an old granary building on Main Street and opened in 1985 with production of about 5,000 gallons of wine. By 1990 they made the decision to concentrate on Galena and close the McGregor and LaCrosse locations. As wine production grew, they acquired a farm on Ford Road outside of town so they could start growing experimental grapes and moved the wine production there.
Today, Galena Cellars produces 60,000 gallons a year and 40 varieties of wine for you, our loyal customers. We have 3 beautiful Tasting Rooms and Gifts Shops for you to enjoy, located at 515 S. Main Street and 4746 N. Ford Road in Galena or at 477 S. Third Street in suburban Geneva, IL. Thank you for your support. Each and every one of you has helped make our winery a success.
WE TOAST TO YOU!
Tasting Room/Retail Manager
This position is responsible for the total customer experience in the Galena Cellars Downtown Tasting Room, delivering on the sales and club acquisition goals while providing best-in-class service in a high volume, customer centric environment. The ideal candidate will have experience as a store manager and knowledge of diverse business subjects such as sales and marketing. The Tasting Room Manager coordinates all aspects of the tasting room and will be expected to be a leader in the following areas:
- Managing and coordinating all daily consumer facing activities on property, including greeting visitors, providing tastings, wine education and tour and tasting room events staffing
- Driving sales and club acquisition results within all sales and experience venues
- Assembling a high performing staff and providing consistent training, analytics, motivation and other activities required to drive success
- Collaborating and working well within the overall retail sales team management to coordinate consumer, VIP, wine club, large groups, tasting room events, etc.
- Developing and building partnerships within the company
- Understanding and identifying with sales reporting
- Reporting to this position: Full-time and part-time tasting room staff
- Tasting Room Manager reports directly to the General Manager
- Meet/Exceed sales goals: Wine & non-wine merchandise
- Drive volume and margin while managing product mix
- Increase average sales per visitor
- Assist in setting annual Tasting Room budgets and monthly budget reviews
- Cultivate a high performing sales organization
- Recruitment, motivation and training (e.g. sales, promotions, club offerings, experiences)
- Mentor and review supervisors and staff, addressing complaints and resolving conflicts
- Schedule and conduct regular staff meetings, tastings, seminars and other events to enhance communication and teamwork
- Develop effective sales promotions and policies (in conjunction with cross-functional teams)
- Increase customer acquisition
- Execute best-in-class wine club, tour and tasting experiences, and tasting room events
- Ordering/displaying Merchandise for gift shop. Meeting with Representatives, knowing trends as well as using sales reports to purchase product. Entering of new product and Purchase Orders. Also in charge of the displaying of merchandise to help drive sales.
- Handling all aspects of online shipping orders
- Order wine transfer based on sales needs
- Event space/planning. Working with Events Coordinator to execute private as well as GC events at the Downtown location.
- Responsible for the daily deposits/banking
- 3+ years of prior relevant experience in a managerial role is required; candidates with retail, direct to consumer sales, restaurant or hotel experience will be strongly preferred
- Must be 21 years of age
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- College degree in retail/business management or hospitality, or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- Must hold a valid driver's license
- Must be available to work weekends, special events and holidays
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills are a must
- Superior customer service skills and service driven
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, follow-up and work in a fast pace environment under pressure
- Must have strong attention to detail
- Pro-active and thorough in completing existing tasks and pursuing new assignments
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision
- Enthusiasm for wine and interest in expanding expertise
- Must be proficient on computers and programs including the Microsoft suite as well as Point of Sale
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry weights of up to 40 pounds at varying frequencies
- Ability to operate various types of machinery to include, but not limited to, hand trucks, dishwashers etc.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in the performance of various tasks
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
Please send resume to: email@example.com