Swim InstructorDubuque Community YMCA/YWCA, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. In more than 10,000 communities nationwide, our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back–grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
The Y is, and always will be, dedicated to building healthy, confident, connected and secure children, adult, families and communities. Everyday our impact is felt when an individual makes a healthy choice, when a mentor inspires a child and when a community comes together for the common good.
With a focus on YOUTH DEVELOPMENT, HEALTHY LIVING, SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, ELIMINATING RACISM, and EMPOWERING WOMEN, strengthening communities is our cause. At the Y, we believe that lasting personal and social change happens when we all work together. Every day we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to be healthy, confident, connected and secure.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly, and supports members and program participants in achieving their goals.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members or program participants, and colleagues at all levels of the organization; helps participants and families connect with each other and the YMCA; and encourages parent or caregiver involvement.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers program participants and families to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (e.g., attendance, progress reports).
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen certifications required.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- At least 16 years of age.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child