Utility Construction PlannerBlack Hills Energy, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
Black Hills Energy is a Black Hills Corporation company that provides electric and natural gas service to over 600,000 customers in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska.
Black Hills Corporation is a diversified energy company with a tradition of exemplary service and a vision to be the energy partner of choice - is based in Rapid City, S.D., with corporate offices in Golden, Colo., and Omaha, Neb. The company serves 759,000 utility customers in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming. The company's non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity, produce natural gas, oil and coal, and market energy. We partner to produce results that improve life with energy. More information is available at Black Hills Corporation.
SALARY RANGE: $72,000+. Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on July 15, 2018.
LOCATION: Dubuque, IA
Design and provide project management for assigned capital and maintenance projects on electric/natural gas transmission and distribution systems. Ensure that customers are provided with superior service in accordance with Black Hills Energy (BHE) standards, and customer service policies and procedures.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Utility Construction Planning Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Enter new service requests using company approved systems and processes as needed.
- Design electric/natural gas distribution and transmission systems and facilities per BHE standards and procedures.
- Plan, design, and coordinate customer requirements for electric/natural gas service installations and primary/main extensions for new commercial and residential customers per BHE’s extension policy.
- Assure that electric/natural gas construction complies with BHE and industry codes and standards.
- Prepare construction plans, survey and stake facilities for new line extensions and integrity (replacement) upgrades.
- Ensure necessary rights-of-way, easements, and other permits are obtained.
- Perform site visits to ensure work site is prepared and ready prior to start of construction.
- Ensure that all work on assigned projects are planned/scheduled so that construction can be accomplished in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Communicate BHE construction policies and procedures to customers and work with customers to best satisfy needs.
- Create, manage, and close out work orders using company approved systems and process. Ensure projects are accurately completed in Company mapping, asset, and accounting systems.
- Work with Operations Supervisor(s) and other departments to schedule construction of customer projects and internal integrity projects to ensure that customer needs are satisfied to the greatest degree possible.
- Coordinate and communicate with customer and contractors.
- Monitor actual vs. estimated cost on all work orders and explain/justify significant variances.
- Assist with planning for electric/natural gas crews work schedule to maintain efficient use of labor resources.
- Provide project leadership support of contractors, electric line/gas crews when managing assigned projects.
- Work in conjunction with Key Account/Growth Representatives to provide estimates for potential growth projects.
- Provide input for Capital/O&M budget creation and prioritization.
- Be a key point of contact for City, County, and State road/highway relocation projects.
- Review civil engineering plans to design and relocate BHE facilities to clear conflicts with City, County and State projects.
- Complete revenue estimates for construction allowances and feasibility study as needed.
- Manage and obtain reimbursements, refundable, and non-refundable construction deposits as appropriate.
- Ensure Utility Construction Specialist has the information to set up customers on correct billing and taxing rates.
- Manage and provide documentation for non-basic 3rd Party Damage claims.
- Understand and comply with federal, State and company regulations.
- Be proactive in safety and promote a culture of safety.
- Understand and be able to communicate marketing programs and policies to customers.
- Assist with state utility commission and other governmental audits as needed.
- Provide backup for local Operations Supervisor(s) as needed.
- Assist with storm/outage restoration as needed.
- Participate with Operations Supervisors for on-call rotation as needed or scheduled.
- Submit request for utility locates as needed where applicable.
- Participate in communitiy events and civic groups as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all Company employees, including Operations Supervisors and Managers.
- Minimum five (5) years of construction, project management or other relevant experience required.
- Experience with electric/natural gas system operations and construction preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Business or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical/natural gas standards for construction, methods, and materials.
- Knowledge of cost estimating and variance reporting.
- General knowledge of rates, marketing programs and customer service programs offered by BHE.
- Strong knowledge of computers and ability to use Microsoft Office products and trade related software.
- Strong construction management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to monitor multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, contractors and employees.
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of a crew in a safe and efficient manner.
- Available to provide off-hours support as required.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer