Fall 2018 Collections Inventory Volunteer/InternNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque, IA
The Dubuque County Historical Society operates the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, National Rivers Hall of Fame, the Mathias Ham House Historical Site, and the Dubuque Guide Service. The Museum & Aquarium serves over 200,000 people a year, including several thousand more each year at its historic sites and tours, telling the story of the Mississippi River and the History of the Dubuque and Tri-state area.
Greater than 90 full and part time employees and over 500 volunteers.
Deadline to Apply is August 26th at 1pm.
This position is 6–12 hours per week during business hours, Monday through Friday between 9:00 and 4:00. Intern will provide support for the Curatorial Services (historical collections) department at the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium/Dubuque County Historical Society.
The intern will be involved with the inventory of the historical collections, which may include but is not limited to:
Assists the collections management staff with:
- Verifies or catalogs information on each item in the collection into the database.
- Physically locates each item in the collection. Documents or updates locations in the database.
- Correlates all items with the correct paper and database files. If the files do not exist, creates them.
- Ensures all items are properly marked and tagged with accession numbers following professional museum standards and protocols.
- Digitally photographs or scans each item and adds images to the database.
- Assesses condition of each item and updates condition information in the database as necessary.
- Registers and catalogs undocumented “found in collection” items.
- Improves storage conditions where practical.
Applicants should possess:
- Ability to work as part of a team and follow specific directions.
- Excellent computer skills, such as experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
- Education or interest in history, anthropology, research, museums, and willingness to learn about proper museum techniques.
This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send museum application to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by email at email@example.com
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563)557-9545 ext. 276
|Apply for this Job!|
|Apply by Mail:||350 East 3rd Sreet|
Dubuque, IA 52001
|Apply by Email:||firstname.lastname@example.org|