Fall 2018 Animal Nutrition Volunteer/InternNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium is owned and operated by the Dubuque County Historical Society, which also operates the Mathias Ham Historic Site. The River Museum and Mathias Ham Historic Site together see over 200,000 visitors and manage outreach programs that serve over 50,000 more. Part aquarium, part museum, part science center, it is the mission of the institution to inspire stewardship by creating educational experiences where history and rivers come alive. The organization employees more than 90 full- and part-time employees.
Deadline to Apply is August 26th at 1pm
- Prepare animal food that will be used throughout the day by following established food prep charts.
- Pull food for next day’s use.
- Create shopping list for grocery runs.
- Ensure daily and weekly check sheets are current and maintain written records in accordance with established practice and policy.
- Ensure all husbandry areas are kept clean, organized and hazard free; report maintenance needs; perform minor maintenance tasks.
- Provide superb customer service for all visitors.
- Implement emergency procedures as directed.
- Work safely with and around potentially hazardous chemicals and dangerous animals.
- Extended periods of standing and heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Provide alternate coverage for other Aquarists and other duties as assigned.
- Will typically possess a background related to living organisms and animal nutrition.
- Experience with, understanding of, and aptitude for maintaining animals in captivity is helpful.
- Must possess strength and endurance to perform the physical demands of all Key Responsibilities with or without accommodation.
- A High School Diploma is required.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
- Must learn quickly and be self-motivated to elevate personal skill set.
- Must possess good decision-making skills to make sound, independent judgments and must possess good problem-solving skills to identify problems and suggest solutions.
- Completion of a minimum of 8 hours a week (hours to and length of time period are flexible and will depend on the individual). Progress will be documented with weekly informational reviews, as well as a final review of knowledge and skills learned.
- NMRM&A Volunteer Application
- Cover Letter
- 1 letter of recommendation (letter must be sent by the individual directly or it will not be accepted)
This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send application requirements to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563) 557-9545 ext. 276