Fall 2018 Living Collections Volunteer Volunteer/InternNational Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium is owned and operated by the Dubuque County Historical Society, which also operates the Mathias Ham Historic Site. The River Museum and Mathias Ham Historic Site together see over 200,000 visitors and manage outreach programs that serve over 50,000 more. Part aquarium, part museum, part science center, it is the mission of the institution to inspire stewardship by creating educational experiences where history and rivers come alive. The organization employees more than 90 full- and part-time employees.
- Preparation of food for animal diets and feeding out of diets in efficient manor.
- Ensure all husbandry areas are kept clean, organized and hazard free; report maintenance needs; perform minor maintenance tasks. Cleaning of the exterior and interior of the enclosures as well as areas around the enclosures (floors, counters under and above enclosures).
- Exhibit servicing including monitoring the health and well-being of animals, testing for appropriate water parameters and performing water changes as needed, ensuring daily and weekly check sheets are current and maintain written records in accordance with established practice and policy.
- Provide superb customer service for all visitors.
- Implement emergency procedures as directed.
- Work safely with and around potentially hazardous chemicals and dangerous animals.
- Extended periods of standing and heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Assist the full-time aquarists with any necessary projects and provide alternative coverage as needed.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a college or university, or have recently graduated from a college or university.
- Will typically possess a background related to living organisms.
- Experience with, understanding of, and aptitude for maintaining animals in captivity is helpful.
- Must possess strength and endurance to perform the physical demands of all Key Responsibilities with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
- Must learn quickly and be self-motivated to elevate personal skill set.
- Must possess good decision-making and problem solving skills to make sound, independent judgments to identify problems and suggest solutions.
- Completion of a minimum of 150 hours preferably 16 hours in a week period (hours and length of time period are flexible and will depend on the individual). Progress will be documented with weekly informational reviews, as well as a final review of knowledge and skills learned.
- Completion of a project approved by the NMRM&A Living Collections Director and Supervisor, as well as give a short presentation on the project.
- NMRM&A Application
- Cover Letter
- 1 letter of recommendation (letter must be sent by the individual directly or it will not be accepted)
This is a temporary, non-paid, part time position. If interested, please send application requirements to Vicky Sutter, Development/Intern Manager at the following address, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 30th for Fall, December 1st for Spring, and May 1st for Summer.
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
(563) 557-9545 ext. 276