AmeriCorps Environmental EducatorDubuque County, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The Dubuque County Courthouse was built in 1891. The Courthouse serves as the center of County Government offices, and is a dominant landmark in the downtown Dubuque area. It is located at 720 Central Avenue in Dubuque.
For Dubuque County positions, including Sunnycrest Manor you need to complete and company application and return it to Iowa Workforce Development, 680 Main St, 2nd Floor, Dubuque, Iowa, 52001. No applications will be accepted at the courthouse.
Position Title: AmeriCorps Environmental Educator
Position Description: 900 Hour AmeriCorps member
- Ability to serve approximately 40 hours per week from the beginning of April 2019 to the end of October 2019 with anticipated service schedule weekdays from 7 AM to 3:30 PM. Occasional nights and weekends are required for host site needs. No service on holidays. Vacation time, sick time and holidays are not counted towards the hours needed to complete the term. Start and end dates are flexible.
- Prefer bachelor’s degree or be working towards a degree in any of the following areas: Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology, Interpretation, Animal Ecology, Forestry or any other related field.
- Be at least 17 years of age by the time of enrollment which begins in April 2019.
- Be a United States citizen or have a permanent resident visa.
- Have served no more then three terms of service in national service programs. Note: If a person has earned the equivalent of two full time education awards, he/she is still eligible to serve up to four terms but is not eligible for another education award.
- Plan and conduct educational programs to interpret flora, fauna, habitats and other components of the Conservation Board’s parks.
- Lead volunteer groups throughout county parks, and recreation areas to perform stewardship and service projects including trail work, habitat restoration, invasive species removal, etc.
- Create-out of school programs that develop a strong passion for exploring nature
- Enhance curriculum on STEM based experiences and principles to better provide field trip opportunities to the K-12 students Dubuque County
- Develop pre and post activities for teachers to conduct in the classroom to build on the environmental education field trips.
- Revise the boy scout and girl scout badge program to maximize scout participation and fulfill more scout badge requirements
- Plan and present programs to develop an encourage outdoor recreation including hiking, biking, canoeing/ kayaking, bird watching, foraging, etc.
- Help design and implement the Dubuque County Conservation summer camps for children ages 3-17 years old including day camps, overnight camps, and backpacking trips.
- Design informational kiosks and brochures, produce quarterly newsletters, and engage community members via print materials, online presence, and social media outlets
- Hands on learning experiences with other organizations and government entities possibly including electrofishing with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, a backstage tour of the National River Mississippi Museum and Aquarium, interpretive hikes with the Iowa State Archeologist Office, kayaking and river navigation, interviewing skills and resume building workshops.
- A taxable living allowance of $7,325 per program year
- Student loan forbearance on qualified student loans
- A $2,960 educational award
- Leadership experience and skill development
Deadline to apply is 3:00 p.m. on 01-31-19. Must complete a Dubuque County application which must be picked up and returned at Iowa Works, 680 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Dubuque, Iowa 52001. EOE.
This listing has expired
|Years of Experience||2-5 Years|