The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium is owned and operated by the Dubuque County Historical Society, which also operates the Mathias Ham Historic Site. The River Museum and Mathias Ham Historic Site together see over 200,000 visitors and manage outreach programs that serve over 50,000 more. Part aquarium, part museum, part science center, it is the mission of the institution to inspire stewardship by creating educational experiences where history and rivers come alive. The organization employees more than 90 full- and part-time employees.
The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium has an immediate opening for a part-time associate for the Museum & Aquarium’s café operations. The Museum Café Associate is responsible for the daily management of all café staff and coordination of resources for the café(s). Duties include but are not limited to: café operations, daily cash handling/counting, menus, inventory, and general organization of the café.
Working under the direction of the Museum Café Supervisor, general duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide an exceptional experience for all guests of the DCHS and NMRMA.
- Operate the Point of Sale system and complete all associated paperwork with accuracy.
- Timely and quality food preparation and delivery.
- Courteously and respectfully assisting guests while quickly and accurately processing transactions.
- Encourage guests to experience all the DCHS and NMRMA benefits.
- Provide accurate information when asked questions.
- Ensuring the cleanliness of the dining area and kitchen.
- Following all food preparation safety laws and rules.
- Present the museum positively by maintaining clean and presentable appearance and work areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will have weekday and weekend responsibilities and commitments with a flexible schedule ensuring work/life balance. Offers a competitive starting hourly wage of $9 per hour. Demonstrates the ability to interact with the public and co-workers in a friendly, enthusiastic, and outgoing manner. Works with a team to provide leadership that enhances the guest experience.
Qualification and Requirements
- Previous customer service and guest interaction.
- Proficient use of computers and computer systems, or the ability to quickly learn.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Quick decision making under pressure.
- Prior food handling experience preferred but not required
- Operating a cash register and cash handling.
- Compliant with the mission of the DCHS and the NMRMA.
How To Apply
To apply, download an application from https://www.rivermuseum.com/join-our-team and email to email@example.com. Or, drop off in person to the museum’s box office at 350 E. 3rd Street Dubuque, IA 52001. Applications will be accepted thru end of day, January 25, 2019.