Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. In more than 10,000 communities nationwide, our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back–grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
The Y is, and always will be, dedicated to building healthy, confident, connected and secure children, adult, families and communities. Everyday our impact is felt when an individual makes a healthy choice, when a mentor inspires a child and when a community comes together for the common good.
With a focus on YOUTH DEVELOPMENT, HEALTHY LIVING, SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, ELIMINATING RACISM, and EMPOWERING WOMEN, strengthening communities is our cause. At the Y, we believe that lasting personal and social change happens when we all work together. Every day we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to be healthy, confident, connected and secure.
Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, this position creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with Dubuque Community YMCA/YWCA (DCY) policies and procedures.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with DCY policies and procedures; completes related reports as required.
- Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the DCY and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: Basic life support or professional rescuer CPR/AED and first aid
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with DCY standards
- Participates and assists with other Y programs. Becomes involved in Y volunteer opportunities
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
|Apply for this Job!|
|Apply in Person:||35 North Booth|
|Alternate Web Site:||Click to visit|