Visiting Counselor - Maquoketa, IAHillcrest Family Services,
This listing has expired
Founded in 1896, Hillcrest Family Services is a not-for-profit health services and education provider serving over 20,000 individuals each year. With primary programming and administrative offices in Dubuque, Hillcrest also operates programs in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Clinton, Washington, Ottumwa, Monticello, Maquoketa and Thomson, IL. The agency operates with an annual budget in excess of 20 million, has 500 employees, and is accredited by the Joint Commission and Coalition for Residential Education (CORE).
About the Organization
Hillcrest Family Services is a non-profit organization that assists adults and children in need of help. Every day, Hillcrest builds confidence in hundreds of people and families. We're a place where compassion is commonplace. Where our passion soars and faith restores.
About the Program
Hillcrest Supported Living (HSL) is a program that provides an individual with a Visiting Counselor who assists them in developing the skills they want or need in order to gain satisfaction in their lives. Services are provided in a client's home, apartment, or in a family home, and can be provided as often as the individual requests.
Visiting Counselors provide skill-building and training in all areas of daily life, including:
- Money management
- Mental health and medication management
- Community living skills
- Coping skills
- Developing and maintaining a daily routine
- Learning about and how to apply for community resources
- Scheduling/attending appointments
Expected results of the Supported Living Program include the development of a support network in the community, successful residence in the community, and the prevention of unnecessary hospitalizations.
As a Visiting Counselor, your primary responsibilities include providing case coordination, skills teaching, counseling, crisis intervention and support services to consumers in the Hillcrest Supported Living Programs. In addition, you will:
- Providing case coordination for each consumer
- Conducting assessments and create service plans based on client needs, wants, and abilities.
- Assisting in obtaining appropriate community resources or services for each consumer
- Establishing and maintain funding for each consumer
- Maintain a complete and updated clinical record for each assigned consumer
What you need
- High School Diploma
- AA degree and/or two or more years experience in the human services field
- Must be able to drive agency vehicles.
- Must have 24 access to a reliable vehicle and it should be insured
- Must not be a habitual abuser of alcohol and drugs, a criminal or abuser and be free of any communicable diseases per Chapter 63
What Makes You Stand Out
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Knowledge of brain injury and chronic mental illnesses, behavioral and rehabilitation theories as well as group and family counseling skills
- Must be skilled in handling crisis situations via phone and in person
- Excellent time management, organization, and flexibility
"The best aspect of being a visiting counselor is that although you are working with individuals that are struggling and need assistance, you get to take part in that journey with them; helping them live independently in the community, and develop healthy coping strategies as well as follow through with using them. The position really is more like being a counselor, mentor, social worker, and support system, all wrapped in one, referred to as a "Visiting Counselor"."
-Current Visiting Counselor
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job posting are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines. A complete list of job duties may be requested at any time during the job application process.
EEO Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
This listing has expired
Human and Social Services
|Years of Experience||--|