Veterinary Technician/Assistant Unpaid InternDubuque Regional Humane Society, Dubuque, IA
This listing has expired
The Dubuque Regional Humane Society (DRHS) is a no-kill open admission animal welfare organization serving the tri-state area since 1901. Our facility admits thousands of homeless animals every year, providing them food, shelter, medical attention, and a second chance at finding their forever homes. The campus features a recently renovated adoption facility and an on-site veterinary clinic. The DRHS is an independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- Receive, examine, and vaccinate animals upon animal intake.
- Ensure timely identification of medical concerns and communicate these concerns with Veterinarian and Veterinary Technician.
- Administer daily medications as prescribed.
- Review vaccination records and administer vaccines and other preventative care according to the DRHS’ vaccine and care protocols.
- Assist Veterinarian in medical procedures using proper restraint.
- Perform humane euthanasia according to established protocol.
- Ensure proper cleaning and storage of medical equipment. Wrap and autoclave surgical packs.
- Administer anesthesia and intubate animals. Monitor animals under anesthesia and while recovering.
- Maintain medical records, pharmacy records, and controlled drug logs.
- Collect samples and perform in-house diagnostics including fecals, urinalysis, FeLV/FIV, heartworm, parvo, giardia, fungal cultures, and skin/ear cytologies.
- Complete ear cleanings and nail trims.
- Administer microchips.
- Maintain knowledge of animal inventory, and animal health, including shelter and foster animals, shelter events, and special needs of the shelter.
- Safely transfer animals from one animal enclosure to another and ensure proper documentation.
- Provide support for the Veterinarian and Veterinary Technician.
- Provide timely, compassionate, and courteous service to customers, visitors, and volunteers.
- Provide accurate information to customers and volunteers about the DRHS’ policies and procedures.
- General office duties, including answering phones, data entry into PetPoint, filing, copying, and faxing.
- Ensure medical area has adequate supplies.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the Hafeman Animal Care Center and its animal enclosures and provision of animals with new blankets, food, and water.
- Ensure the completion of laundry and dishes for Hafeman Animal Care Center.
- Other duties as assigned
This listing has expired
Full or Part Time
|Years of Experience||--|